The 1933 Goudey Baseball card set is one of the most iconic pre-war card sets and holds a special place in the hearts of many collectors. Renowned for its colorful design, Goudey cards feature the era’s most prominent baseball players, making the set an exciting piece of baseball history.
Here’s a rundown with our selection of the top 10 1933 Goudey cards of all-time.
The Best 1933 Goudey Cards
This is the criteria we used to come up our list of the best 1933 Goudey cards:
- Values: We’ve factored in for some of the most valuable 1933 Goudey cards on the market
- Rarity: Rarity will always have a role to play in terms of interest and pricing
- Popularity and branding: How popular is the brand, or the set itself?
- Rookie cards: RCs are always going to sell for a premium, as the first ever cards to feature a baseball player
- Potential ROI: Arguably most important, can you expect a decent potential ROI if it’s a long-term hold?
Here are the top 10 1933 Goudey cards of all time:
1. 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth (#53, #144, #149, #181) (eBay)
No baseball card collection would be complete without Babe Ruth. The Sultan of Swat is represented in the Goudey set by four different cards, each depicting a different pose. These cards are among the most coveted in the hobby, due to Ruth’s monumental impact on baseball.
2. 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig (#92, #160) (eBay)
The Iron Horse, Lou Gehrig, is another iconic figure in baseball history. Gehrig is also featured on two cards within the set, both of which are highly sought after by collectors. Both cards use the same illustration, and the latter is rarer overall.
3. 1933 Goudey Napoleon Lajoie (#106) (eBay)
This card is arguably the most famous in the set, not because of Nap Lajoie’s reputation, but due to the card’s scarcity. It was not included in the original 1933 release but was printed and distributed a year later to those who wrote to Goudey complaining about the missing #106 card.
4. 1933 Goudey Jimmy Foxx (#29, #154) (eBay)
Jimmy Foxx, another legendary slugger, is featured twice in the set. Both of his cards are highly desirable, as Foxx was one of the most dominant hitters of his era.
5. 1933 Goudey Carl Hubbell (#230) (eBay)
Carl Hubbell, renowned for his devastating screwball, is another iconic player included in the set. The Hall of Fame pitcher’s card is a staple of any classic baseball card collection.
6. 1933 Goudey Rogers Hornsby (#119) (eBay)
This card features Rogers Hornsby, one of the greatest right-handed hitters of all time. Hornsby’s 1933 Goudey card is a classic and remains in high demand among collectors.
7. 1933 Goudey Dizzy Dean (#223) (eBay)
The 1933 Goudey set also includes a card of Dizzy Dean, the charismatic and talented pitcher. Dean’s card is notable for its unique portrait and the player’s lasting fame.
8. 1933 Goudey Lefty Grove (#220) (eBay)
Lefty Grove, one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, also features in the 1933 Goudey set. His card is another must-have for collectors of classic baseball cards.
9. 1933 Goudey Mel Ott (#127) (eBay)
Mel Ott, the powerful New York Giants slugger, is another key figure included in the set. Ott’s card, like others from this series, combines an iconic player with vibrant, classic design.
10. 1933 Goudey Eddie Collins (#42) (eBay)
Eddie Collins, another Hall of Famer, is the final card in our top 10. Collins, who starred for both the Philadelphia Athletics and Chicago White Sox, is one of the era’s greatest players.
The Best 1933 Goudey Cards: Summary
When collecting these cards, consider their condition, rarity, and historical significance. Also, ensure you purchase from reputable dealers to guarantee the authenticity of your cards. Graded options are another viable alternative.
Collecting 1933 Goudey baseball cards isn’t just about owning a piece of baseball history; it’s about the love of the game and the players who made it great.