Mac Jones is one of the most popular football players right now in terms of the overall interest paid to his rookie cards. He finished his rookie campaign with a 67.6% completion percentage, second only to Dak Prescott in the record books.
Of course, there’s still room for improvement, especially as he’s not hitting the same numbers we saw in his rookie campaign.
We’ve come up with a list containing 10 of the best Mac Jones rookie cards, including everything you could possibly need to know to get started.
The Best Mac Jones Rookie Card: Top 10
Considered to be one of the top names in the 2021 class, there are hundreds of Mac Jones RCs on the market. We’ve narrowed that down to just 10, including rare inserts and one-of-one parallels.
10. 2021 Clearly Donruss Rated Rookie Mac Jones RC #55 (eBay)
2021 Clearly Donruss Football is a debut for the NFL set. You’ll find one auto per box. This includes Jones’ Rated Rookie card, which is similar to the base version found in 2021 Donruss football in terms of design and the image used.
Donruss is a budget brand, with a number of inexpensive unnumbered cards to choose from. However, you’ll also find exclusive parallels, such as the Holo Rated Rookie logo seen above.
It’s a strong option if you don’t mind the stickered auto, from a popular brand for rookie cards.
- Parallels: Gold, Holo Mosaic, Holo RR Logo, Purple, Blue #/99, Red #/49, Green #/25, Holo Silver #/10, Holo Gold #/5, Holo Platinum 1/1
9. 2021 Mosaic Storm Chasers Mac Jones RC #SC15 (eBay)
2021 Panini Mosaic Football features a number of Jones RCs, including the rare Storm Chasers subset. A case-hit insert, PSA 10 copies are currently selling for roughly $750.
That’s not bad for an SP card with no serial number, and the lack of parallels is another explanation for the current high prices. We think that it’s an underrated option, and it looks to be a good long-term hold.
Some collectors aren’t fond of inserts, but we think this is one of the better alternative Mac Jones RCs.
8. 2021 Panini Prizm Draft Picks Mac Jones RC #104 (eBay)
If you’re looking for a mix of rare parallels and a strong action shot, 2021 Panini Prizm Draft Picks has you covered. It features an image of the New England Patriots quarterback, with a football clutched in both hands as he prepares to make a killer play.
You’ll find something to suit almost every budget thanks to a range of Prizm parallels, including serial numbered copies.
- Prizm Parallels: Blue Circles, Blue Pulsar, Gold Ice, Gold Pulsar, Green, Green Wave, Orange Ice, Purple Wave, Red Circles, Red Ice, Red Pulsar, Red/White/Blue, Ruby Wave, Silver, White Sparkle, Red #/299, Blue Wave #/249, Blue #/199, Purple Ice #/149, Blue Ice #/99, Orange Wave #/75, Purple #/75, Purple Circles #/50, Orange Pulsar #/49, Green Pulsar #/25, Mojo #/25, Purple Pulsar #/25, Pink Circles #/20, Blue Shimmer #/13, Gold #/10, Black Gold #/5, Neon Green Circles #/5, Black 1/1
7. 2021 Panini One Precision Mac Jones RPA #306 (eBay)
Panini One takes a different tack to its hobby box. Each Panini One box contains a single card that is guaranteed to arrive in a one-touch case. (Hence the name, Panini One.)
For an alternative Mac Jones RPA, 2021 Panini One offers collectors the Precision subset. The large patch does lead to the card feeling ever so slightly cluttered, but it’s still a cut above his average auto. Of course, this is also reflected in the overall asking price.
- Parallels: Blue, Bronze, Red, Gold #/10, Platinum #/5, Gold Vinyl 1/1
6. 2020 Panini Select Mac Jones XRC #405 (eBay)
If you don’t mind an earlier release, 2020 Panini Select Football contains a premium XRC Mystery Redemptions insert.
These added 2021 rookie cards to the collection and were exclusive to Hobby boxes. (Jones is one of the rookies chosen for the Redemptions set.)
Unfortunately, there’s no signed version, but that hasn’t stopped prices from creeping up over the past 12 months. Jones is found in the middle, ready to let the pigskin fly. (There’s an XRC logo at the bottom as it’s from a 2020 set.)
- Parallels: Tie-Dye #/25, Gold #/10, Black 1/1
5. 2021 Panini Mosaic Mac Jones #306 (eBay)
2021 Panini Mosaic is another great place to look for top Mac Jones RCs.
As always, parallels change the border color/design, and rarer copes can sell for a large sum.
It shares a similar design with many of the cards to make the list. The Mosaic backgrounds are often the difference maker here, with various versions numbered to 10 or less.
- Mosaic Parallels: Base Mosaic, Camo Pink, Camo Red, Genesis, Honeycomb, Reactive Blue, Reactive Orange, Reactive Yellow, Red, Silver, Purple #/49, Orange Fluorescent #/25, White #/25, Gold Wave #/17, Blue Fluorescent #/15, Green Swirl #/11, Pink Swirl #/11, Gold #/10, Green Fluorescent #/10, Pink Fluorescent #/10, Red Wave #/9, Black 1/1
- Choice Mosaic Parallels: Fusion Red & Green, Peacock, Fusion Red & Yellow #/80, Black Gold #/8, Black 1/1, Nebula 1/1
- No Huddle: Silver, Blue #/75, Purple #/50, Pink #/20, Gold #/10, Black 1/1
- Direct Mosaic Parallels: White Sparkle
4. 2021 National Treasures Mac Jones RPA #PPA-MJ (eBay)
The Prodigy Patch Autographs Mac Jones card from 2021 National Treasures takes the fourth spot on this list. National Treasures is traditionally a high-end release packed with some of the best cards seen throughout the year.
This isn’t the most valuable Jones RPA found in the collection, but it’s limited to 99 copies, and is hard signed by the talented quarterback.
- Parallels: Holo Silver #/25,Holo Gold #/10, Brand Logo 1/1, Tag 1/1, Team Logo 1/1
3. 2021 Donruss Downtown Mac Jones RC #DT40 (eBay)
One of the more exceptional Mac Jones RCs, 2021 Donruss Football is where you’ll find his Downtown insert.
Especially popular on the resale market, this is mostly due to the unique design that pays homage to the history of the city and the team. With New England-focused artwork, it includes lobsters and a Revolutionary War soldier.
Typically falling at a rate of one per case, Downtown cards aren’t easy to find. The inserts are going to set you back by a fair amount, despite the lack of a serial number or an autograph.
Downtown inserts are some of the most popular cards in the hobby right now, especially if they’re wrapped in a graded slab.
2. 2021 Panini Contenders Rookie Ticket Mac Jones #109 (eBay)
2021 Panini Contenders Football is where you’ll find the ever popular Rookie Ticket subset, which nearly snags the top spot on this list.
It follows a traditional Rookie Ticket design, with lots of parallels accompanied by a serial-numbered auto. There’s a simple image of Jones holding the pigskin.
The Cracked Ice parallel is worth checking out, especially as there were only 21 copies produced. You’ll be able to see a copy in the image above.
- Ticket Parallels: Red Zone SSP, Reverse SSP, Wild Card Round SSP, Playoff #/99, Stub #/89 or less, Championship #/49, Cracked Ice #/21, Super Bowl 1/1, Printing Plates 1/1
- Clear Ticket Parallels: Sparkle, Clear #/10, Clear Mosaic 1/1
1. 2021 National Treasures Mac Jones RPA #161 (eBay)
Our top pick as the best Mac Jones rookie card is the 2021 National Treasures RPA, found in the Rookie Patch Autographs subset. As you may have guessed, it features a large patch, as well as an on-card auto at the bottom.
The base version has a print run of 99 copies. It has long been seen as the go-to set for premium rookie card collectors. There’s no way to underplay the importance of the set.
- Parallels: Green Jersey Number #/89, Purple #/49, Holo Silver #/25, Midnight #/20, Holo Gold #/10, Stars & Stripes Blue #/10, Black #/5, Red Brand Logo 1/1, Platinum NFL Shield 1/1, Red 1/1, Red Laundry Tag 1/1, Printing Plates 1/1
Mac Jones Rookie Card: Buyers Guide
Here’s what we think of the market for the rare Mac Jones rookie cards we’ve mentioned above.
Jones is rated highly, with a reputation that grew as he played college football at Alabama.
(He set the NCAA season records for passer rating and completion percentage as a junior while winning the 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship.)
The point is, there are hundreds of options to choose from, and there’s something to suit almost every budget. You should be able to find graded base copies of many of the cards above at an affordable price.
As for more valuable options, any hard signed card is worth checking out. There are also a few SSP inserts that we’ve mentioned above, and they’ve viable from an investment perspective. The National Treasures RPA is an exceptional card, as is the Downtown insert.
You’ll be paying a premium for top Mac Jones cards, especially if there’s an RC logo attached. He hasn’t hit the ground running in year 2, but collectors aren’t worried. After all, many players struggle in their second season.
He performed to a good level during his rookie year, despite the high level of pressure placed on his shoulders. Jones has the tools to attack the league again, this time with more strength and experience on his side.
Collectors think that he has what it takes to win at least a couple of Super Bowl rings over the next decade. If you agree, current card prices are a steal. Of course, it’s always worth weighing up the risk against the potential rewards.